for the past few months, i've struggled with who i want to be in the blogging world. i started reaching out to bloggers i didn't know but totally idolized as "big" bloggers. i was frustrated for weeks that no matter how many comments i left or how many tweets i wrote them, i still wasn't a part of their clique! i wanted in.... but i didn't know how to do it.
fast foward to this week. i was reading all about blog conferences for newbies and trying to absorb as much information as i could -- what conferences to attend, how to dress, how to introduce yourself, what to bring, what to put on your business card {yeah, i'm getting a blog card -- so??}. i found a post about blog conference myths and realities. as i was reading about "big blogs" with high stats and well-known
names attending major blog conferences like BlogHer, one statement that i read completely changed my perspective on blogging and who i want to be, where i want to be, and who i wanted to be there with....
" ....those labels make people, especially newer bloggers, feel like there is a pecking order in the blogopshere or that some bloggers are up on a pedestal and can’t be touched.... these bloggers are just as excited as you are to be going to a conference to have fun, learn, and network. they want to be approached and chatted with. they want to learn more about you and your blog. at conferences, we are all equal; all women who enjoy blogging and connecting with other bloggers."omgoodness -- a blogging revelation, and not just for me. i know so many other bloggers that have been in my shoes, feeling just so small in this enormous blogosphere of people writing quite nearly the exact same things you are writing. how do you stand out? how do you make an impact? how do you become....
[wait!]
let's hit backspace a few times.... why would you want to become anything other than who you already are? your blog is YOU in a virally virtual nutshell. everything that you have to say is important, life changing, and hilarious!! all you have to do is entertain the right audience, and believe me -- they will come in due time!
i have found that the more transparent i am about my struggles, my goals, and my quirky personality, the more connections i make and the more my blog helps me to find myself and who i am supposed to be in this great sea of bloggers. my point is -- the more that you aspire to be yourself and write about what you love/what inspires you; the happier you will be all around.
there are no "popular girls" in blogging.
-- YOU ARE THE "IN CROWD" --
so i encourage you -- friends and readers alike: if we haven't connected one on one yet, i want to. i want to read your emails and write you postcards and participate with your blog. i want to meet you at BlogHer in august and give you the biggest blogging hug ever!! no matter how many followers i ever have through google friend connect or readers through feedburner, i'll always just be april -- and you'll always be cool to me!
ps -- want to know some other cool bloggers that aren't concerned about being popular? you'll find us all at the same table at BlogHer {waiting to meet you, DUH!}, or you can find their blogs here:










LOVE this post!!!
ReplyDeleteI loved this post! And for so many reasons!
ReplyDeleteJust be yourself. And be TRUE to yourself!
Wait...you already have a table together at the Blogher??!?!?
i personally love the "smaller", more personal blogs like yours. don't lose who you are! :)
ReplyDeletemy very humble (and sadly, sometimes neglected) blog --> www.vintagelovevintage.blogspot.com
This is a wonderful post April! I thought the same thing about who I thought of as "the cool girls" in the blogging lunch room a.k.a. Twitter. I'm so glad we're friends and I'm thankful for the many other wonderful bloggy friends I've made. I can't wait to actually see you and the rest of them at BlogHer! :)
ReplyDeleteLove this post! I too am one of those bloggers that don't care about being in the 'in crowd' be yourself!!
ReplyDeleteTwo thumbs up!
ReplyDeleteThis has definitely been on my mind lately! I've recently become a tad obsessed with trying to figure out how to have more followers, more subscribers, to get more face time. I'm always saying to my husband, "No one listens to me except for you, I think that's why I enjoy blogging and calling in to Oprah Radio talk shows so much-I feel like someone else is listening." After reading this (by a suggestion from Biehl Adventures), I feel more empowered to go back to just blogging for me, regardless of the size of the audience! As much as I still love reading the blogs of the media supported "in-crowd" like Girl Gone Child or Mighty Girl, I totally agree that I'd rather aspire to be more myself than someone else!
PS- Totally adding you to my subscriptions!
Love the post! Yes, I think I, little blogger here, feel the same way from time to time. I hope to get a sponsor or money together for a blog conference. I would love to meet some of the ladies who's work I read and love. ..YOU, too! :)
ReplyDeleteThat is a really great post. I started my blog with the idea that I wanted a place to just BE me, b/c I felt a lot of pressure to "perform" in the real world and put on some kind of perfect persona. Then I found that because of the "perceived" pecking order you mentioned, I was starting to do the SAME things in bloggy world as in real world - that is WORRYING TOO MUCH ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK ABOUT ME! :)
ReplyDeleteThe reality is - in the real world, you're going to have a limited number of friends and acquaintences, so there is pressure to "keep" those friends and put your best face on all the time, which gets tiring. But in the blog world, you have nearly limitless friendship possibilities... so you can really be yourself, warts and all, and if one person doesn't like it, they don't have to read your blog but you can rest assured that there ARE people out there who will love and follow you - and that is definitely the beauty of blogging.
I also have bloggers I admire and despaired to ever achieve their "fame & fortune" but I am starting to put that aside, focus on myself and my blog (not in a selfish way), and remember that it IS about being ME!
Thanks for a great blog post! :)
Wow. Thanks so much for this April. I also want to say thank you so very much for taking me "under your wing" when I started this crazy adventure called blogging. I so look up to you, and love everything you have to offer as a blogger, and as a friend. I will always be here, following you through your adventures, ups, down, and all arounds in life. As long as you'll have me :D
ReplyDeleteWhether it be in North Carolina, California, Japan, or Ireland (<--- cuz I'd love to go there myself, I had to add it!) Thanks again, and I really love this post.
Firstly, thanks! I am glad you love my blogging corner...I just added all the pictures and it really brightens it up.
ReplyDeleteSecondly, no. I don't love my phone. In the beginning, I had "new phone crush type of love" and now it has a weird mind of its own. Sometimes it runs slow, like a computer. And it's hard to anwser and hang up calls. It's basically annoying all the time. This is my second one. And yes, mine is slobbery and sticky too!
Lastly, I love this post. And you really couldn't have written it at a better time. I'm going on vaca next week to NC. New Bern to be exact, about 40 minutes from Jacksonville. And I was thinking how cool that I'll be in the same town as this awesome blogger I know! How cool is it that I used to live in that town (its a bummer I didn't know you then!) and how cool that I am actually from the town next over and grew up around there. Then, I thought, why would she care if my little blog is in awe of her blog. Crazy, right? I think we bloggers play mind games with ourselves. But you are totally right.
There is no popoular crowd in blogging. We are the "in" crowd!
You touched on a lot of really great points. I've seen it a few times in the blogging community where people get self conscious about not receiving comments or not having as many followers as others. I never thought or saw any of blogging as a popularity contest. For me, It has always been about me and my pleasure. If others want to read, sure, go ahead. If you don't want to read, then don't. It's no biggie. :)
ReplyDeleteMy point: I don't care how many followers I have, I like my blog, I enjoy writing and babbling on public space out on the interwebs and I shall continue on, for my own sake! :P
Love it! I hope to see you at Savvy Blogging Summit, too! http://www.savvybloggingsummit.com
ReplyDeletewell said! glad to know i'm not the one only trying to figure out 'who to be' in this universe :) the answer, "yourself!", seems so simple, right? thanks for the positive perspective!
ReplyDeleteBest post ever! Seriously, blogging can be so intimidating, but you are so right, people want to know YOU and when them come to your blog they want to know about you. I think we forget that simple fact too often! Thanks for the great reminder and little pep talk!
ReplyDeleteHave great fun on your little vacay in OR and then with your cross country move! We just did 3 dity cross country moves in the last 2 years so if you need any suggestions I may have some :) And yea for the West Coast!
Thanks for this post! I'm a new blogger and can relate to it in so many ways. I love your positive attitude and appreciate the things you said.
ReplyDeleteNicole
http://momalwaysfindsout.com
Oh man, I sooo get what you were saying in this post. I have felt like that so many times! i was commenting and trying to connect with others, and it felt like it just wasn't working most of the time. You're right though...you have to be your self and just ENJOY blogging. You are the IN crowd : ) Not all of us are going to have huge blogs, but it is still so fun to enjoy your hobby and connect with as many others as you can.
ReplyDeleteI really love this post. When I first started blogging I wanted so desperately to be liked, but you are so right, when you just start being you connections are formed. Have a great time at the conference!
ReplyDeletevery well said!
ReplyDelete