{gather your ingredients}
1 1/2 lbs. stew meat {i used beef}
1 lb. celery
1-2 lbs. carrots {i always use extra!}
1 sweet onion
1 28oz. can of diced tomatoes
4 cups beef stock
3-5 medium red potatoes
salt, pepper, parsley flakes, olive oil
salt, pepper, parsley flakes, olive oil
{directions}
2. choose a large stockpot, add 1-2 tbsp. of olive oil and heat over medium. add in your stew meat and season liberally with salt and pepper. brown meat for about 7 minutes.
3. using a slotted spoon, transfer the browned meat to a bowl and let it set while you sautee the veggies in the leftover oil and beef drippings. add in salt, pepper and about 1 tbsp parsley flakes to season. sautee until the onions become opaque, about 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. add the stew meat back in, along with the juices in the bottom of the bowl. pour in your diced tomatoes and give it all a good stir.
5. make your beef stock. you can purchase stock pre-made, or you can make your own with beef granules. to make it even easier, i microwave 4 cups of water on high for 5 minutes and then add 4 heaping teaspoons of granules to make the stock, no need to dirty up another pot! when you have this prepared, go ahead and pour it all in, it should come almost to the top. don't worry, it will boil down. bring your stew to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover {or just prop the lid on top so steam escapes} and let it do it's thing for about 2 hours.... you can stir occasionally, or you can just forget about it!
6. add in your potatoes about 45 minutes to an hour before you are ready to serve, that way they don't get all mushy on you. by the way, "mushy" is a very technical culinary term. continue simmering....
7. now your soup is done! enjoy <3
want some nutritional facts? i've already done all the work for you!!























Following from More Followers Monday :)
ReplyDeleteComing over from MFM. Thanks for following!
ReplyDeleteYum! The ingredients had me but the images sealed that we will be having stew tonight!!! thanks for sharing... HHL
ReplyDeleteattitudeIVlife.blogspot.com
it is so cold outside today...that stew sounds so good right about now! I am now following you back, have a great day!
ReplyDeleteI am so going to try this recipe in my slow cooker.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a wodnerful recipe for the snowy day outside! Thanks for putting up the nutritional facts!
ReplyDeleteNew follower - thanks for the follow at my blog!
Looks yummy! Also, I think your blog is awesome and I awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award. Check it out!
ReplyDeleteThat looks fabulous! Stopping by from MFM. Now I'm hungry.
ReplyDeletexoxo Nicole
http://hautesinglemama.blogspot.com
This looks amazing! I love the visual step by step process. I want to make chili one night to accompany these chilly nights. :)
ReplyDeleteangiedmac.blogspot.com
Looks yummy! I'm following back from MFM!!
ReplyDeleteMmmmmmm I wish the kids would eat stew... I will have to post my beef barley soup that they eat up!
ReplyDeleteThat looks delicious! I am following you back!
ReplyDeleteThank you for following me! I'm following you back now too!
ReplyDeleteAnna Barnett
Follow My Blog at: Keeping It Social
Follow me on: Twitter
Like me on: Facebook
That would have been perfect here tonight. It's soooo cold! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following. I have followed back on GFC, FB, and twitter. Thank God for the Marines, and thank you, too!
ReplyDeleteHi, April! This sounds super yummy. Thanks for stopping by our little bloggy world, we were happy to have you! Visit us often. We're now following you :)
ReplyDeleteyour new friends,
koco & viking
kocoandviking.blogspot.com
p.s. We have a giveaway going on right now and you can linky up your giveaway to it!
You did a great job on the images in this post and the directions. Makes me want stew :) And I'm a tad envious of your pots :) Following you back from the Monday hop. I'm a tad late. Today's post is tender to my heart, I hope you will stop back by to read. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Mel
Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God
Looks delish, I'm going to try this one. How did you compile the nutritional information?
ReplyDelete@mel - those pots are from IKEA! they've served me well for 8 years now ;)
ReplyDelete@amie - i logged into www.caloriecount.about.com and created a "new recipe". the recipe creates 10 servings, so about 1 1/2 good size laddle fulls of stew per serving!
This is Amanda from http://clothdiaperingmommytosix.blogspot.com !!
ReplyDeleteYour recipe looks AMAZING!!!