16 January 2011

the big secret.... REVEALED!

alright, i know you've been on the edge of your blogging worlds lately..... remember when i posted that we had a big secret, but i couldn't tell you yet?  well now, i'm happy to announce that we are moving!!

several months ago, caleb was up for re-enlistment, and he did what is called a lat move.... where you change billets {known as a job in the civilian world.... i embrace the civilian terms} but still in the same line of work.... if that makes any sense at all.  caleb previously worked as an air framer for an HMLA unit with hueys and cobras {helicopters}.  he now works as an air framer for ospreys.... so basically, he just changed aircraft.  regardless, he's still sexy and comes home with greasy hands.  just sayin'.

so he's been in school for eleven weeks, learning about the ospreys.  we knew we had a chance of moving, but didn't know if it would be to a different base in north carolina, or elsewhere.  caleb called me one day last week and told me that we got orders to move to california!!!!  we will be stationed at MCAS miramar outside of san diego.  before we move any further with this story, let me just list some reasons why i am beyond thrilled to move to cali....
  • it's 70 degrees and sunny year round.... YEAR ROUND, people!
  • we will pretty much live in Shamu's backyard.... and i have a serious love affair with all that is SeaWorld, although i have not been {yet}
  • anthropologie is local again.... i don't really need to elaborate on this. *wink*
  • whole foods is local again.... when we lived in atlanta, grocery night was date night when whole foods was involved!
  • target has two stories {whaaaaat?!}
  • we are alot closer to my parents {aka memaw and grandpa jim!}
  • um, hello?? we are getting out of jacksonville, north carolina..... nuff said!
anyway.... as i was telling him on the phone how ecstatic i was to go to california {a state i've never actually set foot in....}, he interrupts me and says, "that's not all...."  oh.  he then proceeds to tell me that this was the only osprey unit with openings and they were having trouble finding marines to send there because the entire unit was reactivated and will be sent in 2013 to Okinawa, Japan!  OHHHHHH.  for the first time in my entire life, i said "SHUT UP" to someone as a true valley girl would have done..... hello?! we are now world travelers thanks to the marine corps.  amelia gets to see the world, and i get to eat real sushi and buy rosetta stone japanese level one.  i'm pumped.  i'm super pumped, folks.

the reason why the subject was sensitive enough that i couldn't post about it before now was because we didn't have a move date until friday.  we move march first.... as in 43 short days from now.  so after telling family, close friends and my boss - i can now put this out all over the interwebs and we can all be excited together! *wink*  oh, believe me, there will be many pictures coming.  i.... can't.... wait!

22 comments:

  1. oh my goodness!! That's beyond exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a native San Diegian that lives in TN, I am so excited for you!! Make sure to buy year passes to the San Diego Zoo. Kids love it and you will definitely get your money worth. Congrats!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were stationed at Miramar. I loved the base, but not San Diego. I love it here more then there, but you made good points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very cool! I hope you love it! I miss Whole Food and Trader Joes. We only have Walmart and HEB here. It sucks. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like quite the adventure!!!! Best wishes in your travels :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay congrats!! We are hoping for Okinawa at some point in his career as well. How exciting! Welcome to California!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome!! The Army recently moved us and they gave us about the same amount of notice! It was crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I linked over from "Let's Get Social." I am following you through GFC. I'd love for you to stop by my blog and follow back.



    The Nourishing Homemaker

    http://nurturedfamilylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOO I dont know you but i am soooo excited for you!!! That is awesome! I would love to travel the world, I will for sure keep reading about you. Brooke
    brookedouglass@yahoo.com
    Girl Boy Girl Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! what a change! that is awesome that it's somewhere you are so excited about... God works all things together for our good... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! I am excited for you. We were going to try for Germany as an Army family but could not take our dogs (pitbulls) & so that was out as quickly as I had asked him about it.

    & did I just read that the Target in California is 2 stories?!?! wow! That's really all I can say about that one. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Sounds like a great move for you. Who wouldn't want year round sun?

    ReplyDelete
  13. San Diego is beautiful! Good luck. :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and I am now following you back!
    ~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! Soon you'll be in the sunny land of never-ending traffic, high house and GAS prices, and earthquakes. It's actually not too bad, but the traffic is insane compared to east coast and people are different there, too...


    We have orders to the land of the Midwest and are quite happy too. We love moving, actually. I get antsy if we're in one place too long....

    Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. See... I'm late AGAIN. BUT, now that its out .... CONGRATULATIONS! I know your pumped up! Wouldn't that bee too funny if the first word amelia spoke was in Japanese? Ya never know! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck with your move. I just wanted to stop by and thank you for linking up with us on Let's Get Social. I'm returning the follow luv. Hope to see you back next Sunday.

    Bridget
    Guide to Smart Shopping

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats! I've never been to Miramar, but I hear it's nice. And I'd be jumping for joy about getting out of Jacksonhole, I meant Jacksonville, ah who am I kidding I said it right the first time Jacksonhole! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats! we are stationed in CA and we love it. We came from NC too. Oh and just to make you even more excited it's like 77 out today and I can see the ocean from my backyard!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's awesome! I would love to someday make it to Japan; Army willing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! I loved growing up in the military and traveling all over the world :) But I was hoping to introduce my sister-in-law to you when she and my brother finally expect their first child -- they are also living in Jacksonville, courtesy of the Marine Corps.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL! My Dad is retired Navy and my DH is retired Air Force. I know the thrill (and the agony) of moving! We've been in the same place for 6+ years and are now used to it. But, the first few years here were HARD. It just didn't seem normal to set in and *not* prepare to move again. I mean, if things aren't going well, ya just have to hang tough until it is time to move again. New scenery, new friends, etc. The people here did not (DO NOT) have the military mindset of making friends FAST and dealing with each other's "issues". But, things are good now! :)

    Military life was an adventure, but retirement is nice too. The grass is always greener.... LOL! I didn't realize you live in Jacksonville, NC. I don't even know where that is, but I live in Virginia. I'm an hour from Greensboro and about two hours from Raleigh.

    I used to live in Cali near San Diego, but we left when I was 5. I *do* remember going to Disney though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the move and then to Japan? How fun is that! I remember I was so excited when I got my first tour of duty orders for England. Boy, were there people jealous for that! I pray that you will have a great move and a wonderful life together wherever you go! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete