When I started blogging last year, I would never have imagined having such a large following and talking with professional contacts. Through networking and product reviews, I have made some pretty awesome acquaintances, like Ilana Grostern, designer and co-owner of AppleCheeks. I really love tweeting with this fabulous lady. She is the epitome of true customer service – she truly loves her customers (and superfans like me!), and makes connecting with buyers like you and me her top priority!
I was lucky enough to grab a few precious minutes of Ilana’s time the other day for a quick online interview. I wanted to show who the face behind the diaper is, so to speak. So, without further ado, here are some of the neat things I found out about Ilana!!
ps – I had originally planned on paraphrasing a lot, but Ilana gave me such great and unique answers, I wanted to share her quotes, verbatim!
Q: Before you were “Ilana at Applecheeks”, who were you and what were you doing?
A: I was Ilana the Graphic Designer (and still am, but only for my own company). I headed up the packaging design department for a chain of retail stores across Canada and I left that position to open a boutique when my first was two and a half years old. I was also Ilana the Mom (still am) and Ilana the Crazy about Natural Health (I did half a degree in Nutrition but then had a baby and couldn't handle school and the baby raising thing). I'm only slightly less crazy about Natural Health but it's not the religion it once was.
Q: Tell me about your family:
A: I have one 14 year old cat, one 2 year old goldfish, a 37 year old husband, a 6.5 year old daughter, a 3.5 year old daughter and a 5.5 month old daughter. I'm 34 years young. We're all co-habiting peacefully under one roof, so far. The youngest is with me full-time and the two older girls are in school and daycare full-time.
Q: What do you dream of for your future with your family?
A: The summer of 2009 we spent a blissful month rambling across Europe with the kids and I don't think I've ever been in such an ideal situation. We had no stress, we experienced new things on a daily basis, everyone was relaxed and together and focused on the family unit with none of the usual stresses to cloud our connections. So yeah, I guess I dream of utopia :) I owe it to my kids to be able to dedicate chunks of my headspace to them for extended periods of time, but that's challenging given that AppleCheeks™ is essentially another baby! I dream of balance and the antidote to entropy.
Q: What was life like for you growing up?
A: Whew. Do you need a one word answer to this question? I'd say it was pretty darn ideal, though I can't remember most of it as I spend so much of my time looking forward and always have. I look happy in all the photos, though! I have two parents who are still together and a brother I'm pretty close with, and I grew up not lacking for anything. I'm super grateful for that and glad to be in a position to provide the same things for my kids. I'm Ottawa-born and moved to Montreal for university, met my husband and never left!
Q: Have you always wanted to cloth diaper your children?
A: Yes, there was never any question about that. My dad was always environmentally conscious and passed those values on to us, and my life has always been as reusable as possible. It's interesting to note, however, that when it came to diapering me my parents chose to use disposable diapers, as they'd just hit the market at that point. Poop is a big focus for my family, though, as my father owns a portable sanitation company in Ottawa and I'm doing the diaper thing. Go figure.
Q: What made you take the leap into becoming a business owner, and what enticed you to create AppleCheeks?
A: I probably would have been happy continuing to be an employee but I find it really frustrating when I can see a solution to a problem that I'm dealing with on a day to day basis and the higher-ups won't listen. So I figured that my problem-solving skills and my intense creative drive would serve me better somewhere where I get to make the decisions (with Amy's consent, of course!)
As for why we created AppleCheeks, when we had our boutique we sold other brands and we were never thrilled with the level of support we were able to offer our customers, or the performance of the products. Given we had so much experience with both using cloth (Amy is about to give birth to her fourth baby) and selling it, it only made sense to come up with a product that we could fully support!
Q: When you first envisioned AppleCheeks, was it anything like what the business is now?
A: Yes, pretty much exactly like this, actually! I thank my lucky stars for such wonderful customers and fans on a daily basis.
Q: What is the best part of your workday at AppleCheeks?
A: I love reading emails and reviews from customers who just adore our product and I really love being able to develop personal connections with said customers. I never, ever want that to change, no matter how big we get. I love being able to do customer support myself as well.
Q: Tell me one random fact about you that would surprise readers!
A: I played the accordion for five years. How much cooler can I get??
And check out these lovely pictures of Ilana and her family!
It was so much fun getting to know Ilana through this quirky interview – she is such a charming lady and really cares about her family, her business and her customers! If you get a chance, tweet her at @applecheeksdipe or follow her personal blog at A Jaded Mama!








I concur - it is a real pleasure knowing and working with Ilana...she was in part my own inspiration for leaving the corporate world and starting something that allows great flexibility... to be a mom, while building something of value for other moms and quite franky, the planet...
ReplyDeleteThanks for the read - very nice!
Samantha C.
BabyAuric Diaper Service, Mtl