02 September 2010

thankful thursday....

{a disclaimer:}
this is my soapbox post of the week.




today i am thankful. ok, everyday i am thankful. i have so many blessings: my wonderful husband, my adorable daughter, a non-leaking roof over our heads, a plethora of couponed-snacks and foods filling our pantry and freezer, a webcam to talk to my parents who live 3,000 miles away, a car that runs (on a good day). but today, i want to explain why i am thankful for formula.
*gasp*

yes, i am immensly thankful for the sour smell of the powdered alternative to breastmilk in a can. and let me tell you why. after amelia was born, caleb and i spent countless hours trying different breast pumps to bring in my supply of milk over the first couple of weeks. amelia had a hard time with thrusting her tongue and couldn't quite latch on. we tried a nipple shield, we tried manual and electronic/battery powered pumps, we tried alot of things. but after amelia's first precious days of life, we quickly realized that my quickly diminishing supply of colostrum was all that i was able to produce. i was not going to be able to breastfeed my daughter.

Women's Healthcare Topics states that only 66% of women are able to breastfeed. I'm sure you will find so many other websites and forums that beg to differ, but it's the first site that came up in my research. It seems fairly accurate. It is not the norm to medically be unable to breastfeed, and I never thought I would fall on the wrong side of this statistic. I was heartbroken, I was exhausted and I was dry.... literally. Even my birth plan stated "absolutely no bottles" for baby Amelia, we were going to breastfeed exclusively. To this day, it still breaks my heart into a million pieces when I see my friends breastfeeding their children. I long for the closeness that they have, that special bond. Don't get me wrong, Amelia is my entire world and I feel so connected to her, she is such a special little child. I know we are two peas in a pod (maybe three.... Caleb needs to be in our pod!!) and I would not trade my life with Amelia for anything. But still....



I'm also thankful for formula because Caleb can play such an active roll in feeding our tiny child. Since we were in the hospital, he was able to begin establishing the integral role as a caring and nuturing father to Amelia by giving her a tiny special-needs feeder (due to tongue thrust) full of Similac so that she could be nourished and grow into the lovely almost-toddler that she is. I love watching the two of them sit together on the couch and eat together while watching television. I love the way that Amelia will often times stare up at Caleb while she has her bottle in her mouth. I love the way Caleb is so enthused to show me how she can almost hold her own bottle; she is getting so big!

Can I just be totally honest for a moment? And this is where my soapbox gets a little bigger.... I am, however, not thankful for those who think so poorly of formula and repeatedly bad mouth this alternative that some do not have the choice of making. I understand that there are some lazy parents that take this option and run with it because they "don't have time" or simply "don't want to" breastfeed. Yes, this is horrible. Yes, I, too, feel this is wrong. But for those of us who had no other option, who found that it was formula or nothing for our child, for those of us who wanted our child to be nourished one way or the other.... I wish you would kindly keep your mouth closed. Breastfeeding is the best option, breastfeeding is a beautiful thing, but breastfeeding was not an option for me or my family. And I would appreciate it if the next time you saw me preparing a bottle of formula with tap water and a shaker of Similac, you would smile, and know that above all, I am thankful for my growing child and that I am able to provide for her any way that I can.

9 comments:

  1. I know that I don't know you at all. But this utterly transparent blog entry touched me. A friend who has become very dear to me also is unable to breastfeed her child and she has really opened my eyes to the pain involved in the issue. You have a beautiful little family and I'm sure you're a really lovely person. I applaud you for your voice in speaking up. I, for one, would never judge you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina,

    Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate them. I would never try to step on anyone's toes with my blog entries, but it's been on my heart to put this message out for some time, so I actually did it.... and it feels so good!!

    I hope your friend will find the support she needs, you can let her know that she can contact me anytime she needs :)

    Best,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! and love you! Very well said!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a mom - who had problems breastfeeding my first child - she wouldn't/couldn't nurse - and it was hard - I was fortunate that I was able to pump for 14 months - but I never made enough - so formula was necessary for her survival. I hated all the looks I got from women at Whole Foods Market & other earthy mama stores b/c I gave my daughter a bottle (it didn't matter that it was breast milk in a bottle) I still got dirty looks. What matters is I was able to feed my child - I wouldn't have been able to nourish her w/o formula to make up for what I couldn't make.

    This time around I've been able to breastfeed my son, and its been so different. he latched from birth and hasn't looked back! So if you ever have another one, the possibility to nurse successfully is there!

    Love you blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gretchen,

    thank you for this comment!! i definitely hope to try in the future if we have more children. i know there are some herbs that i could try, so we will see.

    but i totally understand about the other earthy moms out there.... it's like they think we have lost our "crunchiness" by using a bottle.

    i'll take any dirty looks just to see my little amelia smile back at me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I won't lie - I badmouth formula, and in my opinion for good reason. And yes, I do look down on mothers who don't even CONSIDER breastfeeding. I understand, though, that some mothers (yourself included) struggle and sometimes cannot breastfeed. I hope that those mothers don't take my anti-formula rants personally as I am more anti-formula company and believe there should be more research, better regulations, etc. with formula. Anyways..

    For me, formula was never an option. If I were unable to breastfeed Q for whatever reason I would purchase breastmilk from a donor.

    I'm not against those who must use formula but I AM against formula and formula companies. It bothers me that so many doctors are unwilling to help, they just say "give the baby formula" and all the mother's efforts are gone down the drain.

    I know that income-wise purchasing breastmilk from a donor is out of the picture for some. The average price is $3.50 an ounce. But there are MANY people out there who donate their breastmilk for free.

    I truly wish that America was more open to breastmilk donations. That way there would be more options than just breastfeed or formula feed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. whitney,

    i had no idea about breastmilk donation until i read that magazine you gave me and i saw an ad for it. the cost is fairly astronomical (can you even use the word "fairly" in conjuction with "astronomical"??) but if that had been a more economic alternative that i had known about at the time.... i most definitely would have chosen it!!

    and you are right, doctors DO push formula way too often and never "have the time" to educate their patients. america has a long way to go health-wise, and that's sad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Consequently, after learning about my friend's difficulties, I became a donor mama for her little one. I feel so honored for our babies to be "milk siblings." I also think charging for milk is nuts. My payment is the reward of knowing that I showing God's love to a sweet baby and his mama.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, was unable to breastfeed my son exclusively. I did not produce enough milk for Lucas to get all the nourishment that he needed, so i had to supplement with formula. I switched to formula exclusively when i had to go back to work only 6 weeks after his birth. It makes me SO mad when people make comments about me using formula and not breastfeeding. If I were able to stay at home with my son it may have been more feasible, but I am not. I work for a VERY busy doctor who I don't think would take too kindly to me having to go pump every hour or two. So, I am also very thankful for the formula that is nourishing my healthy and thriving little man!

    ReplyDelete